Download Full Text (1.6 MB)
The Brainerd Mission Cemetery (40HA128) was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1979. The cemetery is all that visibly remains of the Brainerd Mission for Cherokee Indians. Christian missionaries converted and educated Cherokee students until the tragic Trail of Tears in 1838. Today the cemetery is preserved on a one acre complex surrounded by parking lots, roads, and commercial establishments of the Eastgate Shopping Mall and Brainerd Village. The City of Chattanooga acquired the green space and parking lot north and east of the cemetery for future interpretive and educational initiatives. The Jeffery L. Brown Institute of Archaeology conducted an archaeological survey consisting of the backhoe excavation of seven trenches on these parcels. The survey was designed to generate information on the archaeological record of the property, particularly the presence of subsurface features such as unmarked historic burials. No significant cultural remains were encountered during the survey.
College of Arts and Sciences
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Place of Publication
Archaeology and history; Excavations (Archaeology)
F444.C46 J67 2008
Jordan-Greene, Krista; Greene, James N.; and Honerkamp, Nicholas, "An archaeological survey of the Brainerd Mission Cemetery" (2008). Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports. 1.