Download Full Text (2.3 MB)
In May and June of 2004, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) summer archaeological field school carried out systematic testing at the Doak House Museum, an extant antebellum structure in Greeneville, Tennessee. This testing program was predicated on the previous summer’s research, which resulted in the discovery of significant archaeological remains in the project area (Honerkamp 2003, 2004). Located on the campus of Tusculum College, the house was built about 1830 by the Reverend Samuel W. Doak, the founder of the College. Doak was a minister, educator and successful planter and landowner who apparently did not possess slaves. His large brick two-story house has been continuously occupied by family descendents until its transformation into a museum in the 1970s. Current plans call for construction of an expanded parking lot and considerable upgrading of utilities, necessitating the archaeological survey and testing program.
College of Arts and Sciences
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Place of Publication
Archaeology--Tennessee--Greene County; Antiquities; Archaeology; Greene County (Tenn.)--Antiquities
Greeneville (Tenn.); Greene County (Tenn.)
F443.G75 H66 2004
Honerkamp, Nicholas, "Archaeological testing at the Doak House and Academy, Greeneville, Tennessee" (2004). Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports. 17.