Download Full Text (55.7 MB)
The proposed greenway through the campus of the University of Tennessee does not intercept, nor closely approach any recorded archaeological sites listed with the Tennessee Division of Archaeology. The route of the greenway closely follows a railroad grade cut originally constructed in 1856-58 by the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad. The right-of-way was also maintained by the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad and its successor, the Southern Railway. The right-of-way of this grade cut was originally 66 feet in width, but was enlarged to 80 feet and more during the late 1800s. The right-of-way housed a double track branch line that was maintained into the 1960s until being abandoned in place by the Southern Railway. Civil War field fortifications were present near the northern end of the greenway at the grade crossing of the railroad at East Third Street. Modern construction has severely disturbed this area and no intact military features are likely to be encountered. Domestic and light industrial historic sites are not included within the proposed primary construction impact zone. There is little probability of intercepting potentially significant domestic or industrial sites or features. Portions of the right-of-way between Oak and Vine streets do contain intact, in situ rails, and the grade cut at this locality retains much of its original relief Current construction plans indicate that the greenway does not significantly depart from the corridor established by the railroad right-of-way. Modern construction has erased much of the right-of-way and reduced the cultural resource inventory in its immediate surroundings. Archaeological monitoring and/or testing is therefore not recommended.
College of Arts and Sciences
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Place of Publication
Archaeology -- Tennessee -- Hamilton County; Antiquities; Archaeology; Hamilton County (Tenn.) -- Antiquities
ii, 26 leaves
F444.C4 C68 2003
Council, R. Bruce, "A documentary overview of the proposed University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Greenway" (2003). Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports. 50.